Our homes are not really geared up around extreme weather, so even if it’s slightly hotter than normal we can find that getting a good night’s sleep can be difficult, especially if you live in an urban area.
So here’s our guide to keeping cool at night this summer:
• Close all of your doors and windows in the daytime, as this will help to keep your home cool, if you have curtains at your windows then close these too. Try and avoid using the oven or hob as this will also heat up your home. Remember hot air rises, so make sure you keep your bedroom doors closed during the day time.
• At night-time once it gets cooler open up all the windows on your first floor, if you can create a through draft this will really help to cool your property down.
• Have a cool shower before bed, not too cool as this will wake you up.
• Buy a stay cool pillow, one of our local shops in Bishop’s Stortford, ‘Coopers of Stortford’ have two stay cool pillows for just £9.99. These can really help you to stay cool. Check out the link.
• Get an ice pack or fill a hot water bottle with cold water and place it in the freezer before bedtime, and then place it under your pillow or next to you whilst sleeping, but make sure you wrap it in a towel to prevent any moisture from leaking.
• Use a fan - this really helps on hot nights. You could even place a container of ice in front of the fan, so that breeze feels even cooler.
• Make sure you drink lots of water throughout the day.
• Cotton bedding will help you to keep cool as it is a natural, breathable material, you can even place these in a freezer or fridge before bed time, so that they feel even cooler.