If you like most of us have had to heat up your home this week, then you will undoubtedly be thinking about how to save on energy costs throughout the coming winter. The best way to save energy around the home is to review everything, including your energy supplier before it really gets cold to make sure you are getting the best deal.
Here are some simple ways you can also save money:
- Use the sun to warm up your rooms during the daytime, close the curtains (preferably lined) to keep the heat in after dusk.
- If you have a central heating system then make sure you keep it on 22 degrees during the day and around 17 at nighttime. Turn off any radiators in rooms that you are not using.
- Place aluminium behind radiators to help radiate the heat into your home
- If you have wood floors then put down some rugs so that they absorb the energy and stop it from escaping
- Not using an open fireplace makes sure it is blocked off to stop hot air escaping, a simple way is by using a fireplace balloon.
- Wrap up warm, this will also help you to burn energy which burns calories.
- Make sure that your heating system is working efficiently so that it uses up less energy.
- Keep your freezer stocked up so that it uses less electricity.
- Cook in bulk and freeze.
- Boil the kettle and fill a flask with any remaining water to use next time - if you want to make enough for a cup of something then measure the amount of water with your mug.
- Turn lights off when not in use, take electrical goods off standby and turn off computers when not using them.