If you are thinking about putting your home on the market you will probably be thinking about the best ways to prepare if for a sale. So here are a few tips from Intercounty’s property experts:
1. First of all you will need to work out your target audience, tailoring spaces to need their requirements without alienating other people who might also be interested. So if you are looking to sell a property to the family market then make sure that you display each bedroom as a bedroom and not an office.
2. Declutter – this is key to securing a sale, you need to clear the way so that a potential buyer can imagine moving their stuff into your home. If you have a furniture which is too big for a room, then it will make a room feel small, so put any oversized furniture into storage until you sell. Clear away personal items in the bathroom, bedroom, clear work tops in the kitchen – stage your home for a sale.
3. Finish off any DIY jobs – this is said to be one of the biggest turn offs to home buyers – unfinished DIY jobs, which also include giving a room a quick spruce up with a paint brush if needed, if you have peeling wallpaper, it will have to go, make sure anything broken, toilet seats, lamps, curtains are all repaired or replaced.
4. Tidy up – make sure that your house is clean and tidy for viewings, home buyers expect to view an impeccably clean house, especially kitchens and bathrooms. Make sure you tidy up cupboards as well, as buyers might want to check these out for size.
5. Curb appeal – buyers will often make a decision about buying a house within the first few minutes of a viewing, so make sure that your property looks good from the outside, this could be putting away the bins, to sweeping a path, to mowing the lawn.
6. Get rid of any bad odours – this is really important if you have pets it might be worth getting your carpets cleaned and asking a friend or family member to look after them during a house visit. Make sure if your home houses any unusual pets such as rabbits and so fourth that these are housed outside for your viewings.
7. Stage your home for visits – make sure that your lights are on, the house feels warm, curtains are fully open, if you have an open fire and you are selling in winter, light it.
If you would like any more advice on preparing your property for sale just pop into your local branch of Intercounty for a coffee and a chat or call our team on 0330 1598017.