Winter is a harsh time of year for our homes, so we have compiled a list of ways in which you can protect your home this winter:
Ice and snow:
• To protect your house and garden from snow try and brush off as much snow as you can off roofs and plants
• Make sure the pipes in your roof are properly insulated, the temperature in your home needs to stay at 10 degrees. If you do find that the pipes have frozen in your home, wrap them with hot towels or by warming them with a fan heater or hairdryer.
• Try to keep your pathways free of ice and snow by sweeping them regularly, if you do have to resort to using salt make sure you keep this at a minimum as it could cause damage to your soil.
Wind can cause a lot of damage to homes during the winter months, it’s always a good idea to inspect your property after a bought of wind, to ensure that there has been no damage.
• Inspect your roof, you should be able to see if there are any loose tiles by looking at your roof from a distance, if you notice there are any roof tiles missing or slipped you will probably need to call in a builder.
• By insulating tape or line your curtains to stop draughts from cooling down your home
• Make sure you don’t have any large branches or trees near your home that could cause damage during a storm.
• Store any tables or outside furniture in a garage or shed during winter, this will stop them from being blown around your garden.
If you live in an area that is flooded frequently, move any furniture or possessions to higher grounds. Also make sure you know where to turn off the gas and electricity supplies and make sure you have a torch to hand. Invest in some sand bags and some flood guards that might prevent some water from penetrating your home. If you do have a flood make sure you call professional company to pump out the water from your home as quickly as possible and this might reduce the amount of damage caused.