This week has been another cold one, so we thought we would put a few tips together to make sure you are getting the most from your fireplace and chimney:
• If you are not using your fireplace, keep the vent closed when it has burnt out, as it could suck out all of the hot air out of your home.
• Check the seals around your fireplace flue damper – it these are not tight you could loose heat through the chimney.
• If possible try and insulate your chimney with a liner as these help prevent the build up of creosote which decreases the efficiency of your fireplace.
• Try and burn dry wood as it will burn cleaner and more efficiently.
• Get your chimney inspected by a certified chimney sweep, such as the National Association of Chimney sweeps. http://www.nacs.org.uk/
• If you are thinking about replacing your current fire, then try and install it with one with a hot plate, and then you can use it for heating water and for cooking.
Finally if you are not using your fireplace then get it professionally plugged, as this could prevent the loss of hot air from you home. For more tips on how to stay warm this winter then take a look at our previous article Easy Energy Tips This Winter, To Help You Cut Your Bills…