If you work all day there’s nothing better than coming back to a hot stew on a dark winters evening. They take a bit of preparation in the morning but will save you precious time when you get home and money, as you can use cheaper cuts of meat.
Some of the most popular winter stews are Boeuf Bourguignon, Coq au Vin, Curries, and vegetarian meals. However they are also great for making pies, as you can leave the stew to cook the whole day and then take off, cover with a sheet of ready made puff pastry and pop in the oven for around 20 minutes.
Here is a delicious Steak and Ale pie recipe we tried out from the BBC Goodfood website:
You will need:
· 1/2 tbls Oil- I used olive oil.
· 1kg Braising Steak stripped of big fatty pieces and cut into chunks
· 2 Garlic cloves, crushed
· 1 Large Onion chopped roughly
· 2 Large Carrots chopped into discs
· 500ml Strong Ale- I used Speckled Hen
· 4 Beef Oxo cubes
· 1 Vegetable cube
· 1/2 tsp Chili powder
· 2-3 tsp Thyme, or a small handful of fresh thyme if preferred
· 300g Ready to roll puff pastry
· 1 Egg, beaten lightly, to glaze
· Pepper and salt to taste
For the method please follow this link: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/8326/serious-steak-and-ale-pie