Two of Uttlesford’s towns, Saffron Walden and Felsted were voted in the top ten of the Sunday Times 101 Best Places to live in the UK.
Saffron Walden and Felsted are both based in Uttlesford, and were rated eight among the ‘most desirable’ places in the region to live. Uttlesford was also voted the 6th best place to live by Halifax in December last year. Felsted has been recognised for its rich historic heritage, natural beauty, its diversity, closeness to London and its top school.
Saffron Walden was voted eighth, among the most desirable places to live in the East of England.
The Sunday Times Best Places to live criteria takes into account various assets of a specific area, including transport links, quality of schools, natural beauty, low crime rate, property prices, cultural and employment figures. Each area chosen is also assessed on its own individual assets, including architectural sites of interest, proximity to an airport.
Here are some reasons why the Sunday Times and Intercounty agree that Saffron Walden and Felsted are great places to live:
• Beautiful homes – many of the houses are of historical importance and include an array of Victorian, Edwardian, Georgian, Tudor and thatched homes.
• The shops – Saffron Walden has some great chain stores, including Monsoon, WHSmith, but also has a large array of independent shops, including Gray Palmer, who offers tailored wear to adults and children, and they have been trading in the town for over 100 years. Felstead is also close to Dunmow, which offers a large array of shops.
• The cafés, restaurants, pubs and bars – Saffron Walden offers a great choice of pubs, independent restaurants and cafés.
• Great transport links – superb train and road links into London and the proximity to an airport.
• Schooling – Saffron Walden, have some of the best schools in the County according to OFSTED, as do Felsted, with its Felsted school celebrating its 450th anniversary later this year.
• Low Crime rate – Uttlesford has the 4th lowest crime rate in the whole of the UK.
• Community spirit - both towns have a close community spirit.
If you are looking to buy or rent a home in Uttlesford, then why not pop into your local branch of Intercounty, as we have a great knowledge of the local area.