The ARLA, Association of Residential Lettings Agents in the UK are a professional body for letting agents, which means that any agent such as Intercounty who is ARLA registered will have to have meet the high standards required to be an ARLA agent. Any tenant who uses an ARLA registered agent and landlord can have peace of mind when renting a property.
By using a Licensed ARLA agent a tenant is guaranteed:
• That the agency is covered by their Client Money Protection (CMP) Scheme. ARLA have the ability to make discretionary grants if you suffer financial loss due to the bankruptcy or dishonesty of the member or their firm.
• That the agency has Professional Indemnity Insurance. This ensures you are financially covered for successful claims relating to members' negligence, bad advice or mishandling of data.
• To be consulting with a qualified and trained agent who can give you professional up-to-date advice and guidance. All our members are required to carry out Continuous Professional Development (CPD) each year.
• That you are dealing with an agent who voluntarily follows the Code of Practice and Rules of Conduct laid down by their professional body. If an agent does not follow the code, they can be fined or in the worst cases expelled from membership of ARLA.
• That you have a route to redress should something go wrong. It is a mandatory requirement that all our members belong to an independent redress scheme, the choice being either the Ombudsman Services: Property or the Property Ombudsman Service. This gives you, the consumer, an added level of protection. The Property Ombudsman Service can award payments of up to £25,000.
If you would like to find out more information about the advantages of using an ARLA lettings agent such as Intercounty then why not pop into your local branch of Intercounty for a cup of coffee and a chat or give our team a call on 0330 159801.