If you are planning a holiday abroad this year, then here are some tips on how to save money this year:
• Choose a destinations where you will have more buying power such as Portugal, Spain, Bulgaria, Turkey, Czech Republic – in some cases you will be paying on average 40% less for drinks, food and other holiday expenses.
• If your dates are flexible try and book a mid week flight, and avoid Sundays as these are the most expensive days to fly.
• Booking your hotel – try to keep the costs down by checking out prices on comparison sites such as Trivago, and once you’ve found a deal call the hotel to see if they can give you an even cheaper rate, they could save a large amount of commission so this could be beneficial.
• Car hire – book this well in advance, as you will be able to save money on the last minute car hire rates. Stick to the basic package, and don’t be tempted by extra items such as insurance. Take your own sat nav and car seats, as these are very expensive to hire. Make sure you make a note of all of the damage, and take photos if necessary when you collect your car, and rephotograph on return.
• Airport parking – always pay in advance, you could save yourselves more than 50% than paying when you arrive.
• Order your foreign currency in advance, as buying it at the airport will cost you much more, check out the website TravelMoneyMax.com, you can choose how to access the money and they will give you some of the best rates.
• If you are planning on using your credit card on holiday then make sure you know what you will be paying. Norwich and Peterborough Gold classic account, Halifax Clarity Card and the Metro Bank Debit and Credit card charge nothing when you are in Europe.