The darker nights are drawing in and there is a feeling that we need to keep ourselves safe over the winter months, which includes making sure our homes are kept secure. If you are looking to increase the security of your home then here are a few steps you can follow from Sainsbury’s:
• Make sure that your locks are secure – Five leaver mortice locks are secured by Design which is owned by the Association of Chief Police Officers. For other options please follow this link.
It’s also a good idea to make sure that any garden buildings such as sheds and garages have secure locks on them too.
• If you want to deter thief’s then consider installing an alarm which meets British Standard 4737/BS EN 50131
• Instal security lighting to all high risk areas, including areas which are not overlooked by neighbours or road, flat roofs, patios and back doors.
• Make sure that your home insurance is up to date and that you are adequately insured.
• Keep your keys out of sight, never leave a spare key under pots, or door mats.
• Make sure that when you go on holiday you follow these steps:
- Ask a neighbour to park their car in your driveway
- Use a timer to turn on lights and a radio during the evening
- Get a friend or family member to house sit
- If you're going to be away during the summer, ask someone to cut the grass while you're gone
- Use the Post Office's 'Keep Safe' service to stop post and newspapers piling up
- Don’t post your holiday in action on Social Media
For more information about how to keep safe why not download their pdf: https://www.sainsburysbank.co.uk/home-insurance/guide-to-home-security
One of the other tips Sainsbury’s suggests is marking your items with a UV pen, which will make it much easier to identify your property if it does get stolen.